Friday, June 8, 2012

HD HomeRun Prime Quirk

Last December I created a HTPC using a HD Prime tuner and CableCard for watching TV. Tonight after a long day at work I wanted to sit down and watch HBO and to my dismay Windows Media Center (WMC) would not display any premium channels. Other channels worked fine. I was not sure if it was related to an automated Verizon Fios setup box reset command I used for another set top box or that I was updating my contract and my account may be in limbo. After reinstalling the HD prime software HBO would play for 5 seconds and then display an activation required message. I followed the activation steps but it ended with a message stating "Your Computer is not Digital Cable Ready" On the HDPrime management page in the logs I saw entries ending with " access = unspecified" I was thinking I would need to contact SilconDust support but then I started up my workstation running windows 8 customer preview and HBO played fine in WMC so I knew it was machine specific and not a problem with the tuner.

After reading this post it turned me on to WMC Digital Cable Advisor which can be access in WMC at Extras->Extras Gallery->DCA. After running it and going through the wizard I was able to watch HBO again. Yeah!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment